Industrial Technology at Stage 6 will develop a student's knowledge and understanding of a selected industry and its related technologies highlighting the importance of design, management and production through practical experiences.
Industrial Technology Stage 6 consists of project work and an industry study that will develop a broad range of skills and knowledge related to the focus area chosen for the course. The Focus Areas offered include Graphics Technologies; Multimedia Technologies and Timber Products and Furniture Technologies.
What will I be doing in this course?
The following sections are taught in relation to the relevant focus area:
- Industry Study – structural, technical, environmental and sociological factors, personnel issues, Occupational Health and Safety (15%)
- Design – elements and principles, types of design, quality, influences affecting design (10%)
- Management and Communication – development of practical projects; research, analysis and evaluation; skills in managing a project and developing and presenting a management folio; computer based technologies (20%)
- Production – display a range of skills through the construction of a number of projects (40%)
- Industry Related Manufacturing Technology – understanding of a range of materials, processes, tools and equipment, machinery and technologies (15%)
The following sections are taught in relation to the relevant focus area through the development of a Major Project (60%) and a study of the relevant industry:
- Industry Study (15%)
- Major Project (60%)
- Design, Management and Communication
- Industry Related Manufacturing Technology (25%)
Particular Course Requirements:
In the Preliminary course, students must design, develop and construct a number of projects. Each project will include a management folio. Each project may emphasise different areas of the preliminary course content. Students also undertake the study of an individual business within a focus area industry.
In the HSC course, students design, develop and construct a Major Project with a management folio. They will also undertake a study of the overall industry related to the specific focus area industry.
How will this course help me in the future?
Industrial Technology at Stage 6 is designed to develop in students a knowledge and understanding of the selected industry and its related technologies with an emphasis on design, management and production through practical applications.